Monday, February 17, 2014

Hampton Forge Tomodachi 14pc Knife Set Review

I was in a really bad need of knives. Mine were dulling. On some the handle was starting to crack. They were starting to suck as far as knives go. I was on the hunt for new cutlery. Then I remembered at a Pampered Chef party my sister-in-law, Carrie, put together, the Pampered Chef representative had a knife that came in a sheath. The cool part about the knife? The sheath also sharpened the knife as you took it out!

I whipped out my laptop and was all ready to buy. I went to Pampered Chef only to find they had one self-sharpening knife available. All they have now are normal knives. I clicked through them, but I had my heart set on sheathed knives. I didn't want knives in a wooden block. I have small children that could possibly cut themselves trying to help me, by handing me a knife or something like that. I wanted knives in a drawer that I put a child safety lock on, for extra protection. The sheaths would protect the knives from any bumps and dings that can occur to a drawered knife.

One day I went to Kohl's. I told myself I was just looking, but honestly, if you're me, you can't walk into a store without coming out with something (I mean I can. But it's REALLY hard). Made my way down to the kitchen untensils and spotted something. A covered knife. It was red (my FAVORITE color) around five or six inches long and I think cost around $15 or $20. The name on the side said, 'Kuhn Rikon.' It wasn't a brand I was familiar with, but I took a chance on it. It had everything I wanted. I noticed a red on white Swiss cross. I thought if they make good watches, I'm sure they can sharpen a good blade. Why not?

Wonderful. You can see how dirty the cover is.

My favorite knife!

When I got home, I literally pulled out the knife and started slicing up chicken breasts. It was like a hot knife through butter! The blade cut the chicken so easily! I actually forgot how a sharp knife is supposed to cut. For a little while, that blade was the only one I would use. For everything. From cutting up meat to fruits and vegetables. I knew I had to buy more, but I didn't want to spend too much. I went to Amazon and found a colorful set of Hampton Forge Tomodachi knives that had colored cases to match! All 7 knives came with blade guards and had great reviews. I bought them and several days later, I received them. They set me back $40.23 (I paid no shipping. We have Amazon Prime).

Not self sharpening, but they would do!




Now honestly, these knives weren't as tack sharp as my Kuhn Rikon, but that's nitpicking. They cut, slice and dice wonderfully for the price! The handles are better than the Kuhn Rikon because they have a non-slip grip (I can tell from the current picture on Amazon that the handle has changed. I don't know if it still has a non-slip grip). I don't have to force down the blade to cut through something. I move the blade, lightly press and it cuts easily.

On the package the blades come in, it says they are dishwasher safe. But I've learned to baby my kitchen knives. I no longer put them in the dishwasher as the constant hot water can dull the blade. I don't even do the ol' let-the-knife-soak-in-a-dish-of-soapy-water. That can also dull the blade.


Yes, this is my real sink. By the way, this knife is one of three that needed replacing,
because I did things like this to it.

As soon as I'm done using them, immediately I take it over to the sink. I run hot water over the blade and scrub with a soapy brush or sponge, with the blade pointed away from the hand that's scrubbing it. I dry it on a towel and it goes back into its protective covering

I can already tell that this way of taking care of my kitchen blades is a lot better than what I was doing. I changed the way I clean them after I put my Kuhn Rikon knife in the dishwasher. After that it was never as sharp as it first was, but it still works just fine.

Another difference between the set I have and the set currently on Amazon (as of 2-16-14) are the two smaller knives. I received two serrated fruit knives and the current package has two different styles of cheese knives.



As for the color and pictures that are labeled as a non-stick coating on Amazon, I find that I have no problem with it chipping or peeling away. One bad review said the paint started to chip off his knives, but many others said the color never came off. Maybe it's because I've never put them through the dishwasher, I'm not sure though. Personally, I really like the color on the knives. Makes my kitchen just a little more cheerful!

 Santoku knife


  
8" Chef knife


8" bread knife






5" tomato/bagel knife



 3" paring knife


I've only used the Chef's knife, Santoku and the paring knife. I'm waiting for my oven to be fixed so I can get to slicin' some homemade banana bread! Over all, I am very happy with my $40 set of kitchen blades and the reviews on them are great too.







54 comments:

  1. Good review. But the knives need frequent sharpening that my Wenger Super handles effortlessly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to look up that sharpener! Mine are just now starting to dull!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this nice post. I think you are boss in this subject. If you want you can increase knowledge about knife:- :) Best Fillet Knife

    ReplyDelete
  3. These seems to be a very good option for the best kitchen knife set for my kitchen need. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tools, I think every one should use this !
    by the way here i have found a website which provide all types of kitchen tools,
    Name is my kitchen tool set thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome things here. I am very satisfied to see your post. Thanks so much and I'm having a look ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

    My Site Contract here Please: UFC 202

    My Site Contract here Please: UFC 202 Live

    My Site Contract here Please: UFC 202 Live Free

    My Site Contract here Please: FREE UFC 202 Stream

    ReplyDelete
  6. These seems to be a very good option for the best knives. check here Incredible Room Heater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting Article.
    Want to know more visit our site for Best Pilips Cooktop Online

    ReplyDelete
  8. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dcs/system/files/webform/%5BSKY2.TV%5D%20Patriots%20vs%2049ers%20Live%20Stream%20Levi%27s%20Online%2020%20Nov%202016%20TV-Preview.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome article.
    visit our site to know reviews and rating of best air fryer 2016

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very good variety of option for our kitchen. Click here to know more about Go Wise USA – GW 22621 Air Fryer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buying new knives because the old ones are dull is crazy. Learn how to sharpen a knife. Even the best knives will soon be useless without sharpening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Knives are important part of the kitchen. You' will always need a knife to proceed cooking. http://reviewsera.com/bosch-gsb-10-re-home-tool-kit-review-100-accessories/ to know more about Bosch GSB 10 RE Drilling machine

    ReplyDelete
  13. This type of article is very much interesting keep sharing this type of article also check mixer grinder here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very useful information provides in the article.
    Also, check here top voltas 1.5 split ac in India

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible Useful imformation shared.
    also, check here Best daikin 1.5 ton ac review

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best Pasta Maker Reviews and Complete Guide 2017
    Find out the reviews of best pasta maker in the market with our complete guide, comparison and details on top pasta maker on the market in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tomodachi knives are durable, affordable and impressive kitchen knife made by Hampton Forge.Hampton Forge knives are accessible and very affordable but never compromise on quality. I’ve found a site contained more information about Hampton Forge Tomodachi knives and their uses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome article,Thanks for sharing.
    click here Top 10 washing machine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every knife are so nice.Your article is very helpful because Knife is a very important part of our daily life.Without a knife we cannot complete our kitchen's work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel this is one of the such a lot significant info for me. And i'm glad studying your article.
    also check here our website to know more about top 10 best washing machine in india

    ReplyDelete
  21. Book your cheapest flight ticket with exclusive deals in uslocalflightbooking.us. We offer USA Domestic Flight Tickets for US Local in Cheap price. US air flight, united airlines flights, USA air tickets, US local cheap flight Ticket, American airline tickets, US plane tickets, United air, Local flight, flights in local, Domestic air ticketing, local domestic flight, USA internal flight, cheapest air ticket, cheap flight of local, Delta flight, book cheap flight.


    USA FLIGHT BOOKING

    https://uslocalflightbooking.us/

    ReplyDelete
  22. https://ufc217.stream/
    https://ufc217.stream/
    https://ufc217.stream/
    https://ufc217.stream/
    https://ufc217.stream/
    https://ufc217.stream/
    https://ufc217.stream/
    https://ufc217.stream/
    https://ufc217.stream/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for adding the Detailed review of the Hampton Forge Tomdachi 14pc Knife set Review..
    I want to check the Best Chef Knife in India

    ReplyDelete
  24. Knife is most important tool for any kitchen. Also, You can Check here juicer blender price

    ReplyDelete
  25. There are more different types and good color combination of knife.
    It's important and useful knife. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whey is the liquid remaining after milk has been curdled and strained. It is a byproduct of the manufacture of cheese or casein and has several commercial uses.best weight gainer

    ReplyDelete
  27. Divya Medohar Vati is a wonder drug that helps you reduce weight without losing strength and virility. Digestive disorders, thyroid imbalances may lead to accumulation of fat in the body. MedoharVati is made from natural herbal extracts and is designed to burn the excess fat without any side effects.Patanjali products for weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks fro sharing this helpful information.
    Best home and kitchen appliances

    ReplyDelete

  29. Before downloading Snapseed for PC, it’s better to know the key traits of the application. Here are the most significant highlights that Snapseed For PC.You can use this method to Download Snapseed for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows XP versions. This method is suitable for both Desktop and Laptop computers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. also use it to promote your latest products and offers or inform people about what your business does. event marketing and keynote speaker bio examples

    ReplyDelete